Sunday, August 7, 2011

DREAM DESTINATION: MALDIVES

OK, so I’ve been browsing a lot around on the web and I’ve been by quite a few travelling pages lately (not the order-here type, the you-should-go-here type). Now I’ve seen quite a lot of cool places, making me only so much more curious of the world. One of my life-long dreams is to see the world, at least some of it, before I die. So just because it’s fun to share my thoughts with you guys, I am going to start having the Dream Destination of the Week – right here on my blog! Trust me, this will be awesome and I’m pretty sure you’ll be inspired.

So one of the places that makes me catch my breath again and again is the Maldives. This place screams heaven on earth to me. In some ways you could say it looks cheesy or boring, but if all you are after is some relaxing time in an amazing place – I think you should go here.

maldives

maldives4

Now the Maldives, for those of you who do not know this, consists of 1192 islands (according to wikipedia) and is located in The Indian Ocean – HERE:

maldivesmap

Now unfortunately, the capital Male is one of the most tightly populated capitals in the world, and according to media they have a lot of problems with sewers and such. However, it turns out that in 1972 the Government there decided to keep the locals and the tourists seperate in the best interest of the locals and their faith. Therefore, pretty much all the tourist places are located on their very own islands.

maldives2

There are positives and negatives to this. If you are seeking local culture and such, the Maldives is not the place for you. Pretty much everyone around you will either be staff or other tourists. On the bright side though, you won’t be bothered by pushy sellers on the beaches trying to sell you faux this and that or handmade jewelry. Appearantly you get a lot of peace and quiet, and it almost feels like you are on your very own island at times.

maldives5

maldives029

Now I’m reading that the prices are high there. This is because your recources are limited when living on islands. Therefore it is suggested that getting an all-inclusive package when travelling here is well-worth the extra money. On the bright side, just look at where you could stay!!

Six-Senes-Laamu-Maldives-Water-Villa

There are more things to do than just lie on a beach as well. Appearantly you can rent little boats or jet skis, you can go snorkling in the AMAZING coral reef or try this unique restaurant called Ithaa, which just so happens to be underwater..

maldives6

Ithaa-Underwater-Restaurant-Maldives-6

This is totally a dream destination for me. Appearantly, since this island is best for couples (oooh a romantic restination!) AND it’s expensive – I might just have to wait a while with this one and hope maybe one day I can convince Paul to go here for a honeymoon…

Is The Dream Destination of the Week a cool idea?

Do you want to go to the Maldives?

-S.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool idea, you should keep on writing :) And yes, I would travel tomorrow to Maldives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post sarah!!!! and it makes me slightly forget i now live in cold norway and puts me on the beach in the maldives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great vacation spot!! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks.
    great info.
    greetings frm maldives.

    ReplyDelete