Saturday, April 30, 2011

Excuse me, I’m looking for motivation–have you seen it?

You might have read in the tiny about me thingy on the side that I will be writing a little about trying to become healthier. Well, I think and hope that most people can relate to my thoughts about this – however I also hope some of you might have suggestions and ideas that you can add to these thoughts.

Motivation, how do you get it? I’ve been told many times that if you’re not willing to spend a few hours a week exercising or not willing to eat healthier foods, then becoming healthy isn’t important enough.

Now I’m not an exercise freak, I am lazy and getting out the door is an effort for me. However, when I actually do go out and jog or walk or exercise in any way – I feel GREAT. I love it and it just makes me want to exercise more and more. But, I do not have that same relationship to food. It’s fine eating healthier dinners, and I really don’t mind snacking on carrots and such, but eventually I just want to eat anything unhealthy.

I’m unfortunately very picky when it comes to food. I don’t drink milk, I hate tomatoes, and honestly I prefer keeping things simple, not with tons of different veggies or meats or cheeses on it. I’m like a kid about some things, and I’m not proud of it. Take pasta sauce for example, I don’t like it much because of the chunks of onion and tomatoes in it. I know what you’re thinking and I’m thinking it too. But that’s not the point.

Why does it have to be so hard to keep eating healthy over a longer period of time? My motivation only lasts until one day when there is nothing healthy that I want to eat in the fridge, and then I eat something crappy. How does one keep eating healthy, every day, without snacking, without getting bored?

CIMG3713-2

I guess in some ways it’s a bit different when you live at home compared to if you live on your own. I don’t think it’s as easy when you’re not the one buying groceries. All of a sudden there is a bag of chips in the closet, and when you get home one night from hanging out with friends and you’re just so hungry – it’s damn easy to start going at that bag of chips like a starving lion. That was totally a real-life story by the way, not proud…

So I guess my question for you readers is: How do you keep up the motivation to eat healthy, especially if you’re living at home with your family?

By the way, we’ve almost reached 2000 views on my blog. Keep spreading the word and when we hit 2000 I’ll be having a fun little giveaway!

-S.

1 comment:

  1. hi sarah!!!

    i dont typically blog on weekends, so im now just seeing this :-)

    i have always struggled with eating healthy, but more so in recent years than when i was living at home. i think living at home, i was always into salads and eating healthily because it was more accessible. AND because i didnt have a car.

    however, the older i get and moved out from my parents, i struggle with it. i have gained an obsession with mexican food (even stronger than before) and i hate that when i had a car, i could go there like 7 days a week and not even realize it! except when my butt got bigger!

    i have learned balance now. i no longer have a car (im moving to norway july 4 so i have not found it necessary to get another of course), and i figured out the best thing for me to maintain healthy eating habits is to embrace the simple things. i love eating sandwiches and salads now...where for many years, i would shun them and eat mexican food or something else instead. i try to make my lunches and breakfast the night before. even if it just means cutting strawberries up... it makes it easier to just go in the fridge and grab them.

    another thing i learned is that liquids are filling! drink SO much water...it fills me up so much that it almost gives me the illusion im NOT hungry when i feel compelled to get a bag of cheetos from the vending machine.

    cant wait to hear how u do! lykke til!

    ReplyDelete