Monday, February 20, 2012

I RECOMMEND

Do you read books? I love reading, I’m just really bad about making time for it. When I do sit down and read though, I end up reading for hours and hours and I absolutely hate it when I realize that I have to go to bed or I have to go to work and so on…

80_-1515266365_xl

Right now I’m working on an in-depth project in my Norwegian class. We could choose our whatever subject we wanted as long as it was related to the class, so I chose to talk about translation of books. For this I used The Snowman by Jo Nesbø and The Last Child by John Hart. I am reading have read each book in their original language and the translated version, only to fall madly in love with each of the books no matter what language. So here comes my recommendation of the day:

READ THE SNOWMAN BY JO NESBØ AND THE LAST CHILD BY JOHN HART!

Seriously, more exciting and captivating books are hard to find. Personally I thought the English-translated version of The Snowman sucked when it came to grammar but it was still pretty enjoyable just because of the plot! So if you’ve got some extra time on your hands, get these books and start reading!

-S.

2 comments:

  1. The Last Child can be characterized as a non-supernatural ghost story, in that its characters are haunted by their memories of a innocent girl long lost, and by the tragic events of the past echoing into the present day. Offering a compelling, compassionate look at a family in ruins, it also comments on the general human condition, providing vivid, contrasting portraits of hope and despair, courage and cowardice, faith and cynicism. It also functions as an unsentimental bildungsroman, as Johnny experiences an ofttimes brutal physical and emotional odyssey/transformation that evokes the literary journeys chronicled in classic novels such as Huckleberry Finn and To Kill a Mocking Bird. As a bonus, readers get to experience these happenings through the vehicle of Hart's sharp, evocative, nearly flawless prose. A master wordsmith, the author of the Edgar Award winning Down River once again demonstrates the uncanny ability to pull readers into his story while engaging every sense, ingeniously drawing them into the bleak landscape he has created. It is a page turner, extraordinarily well written, and thought provoking. You can't put the book down once you start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 Jo Nesbø. If you want something good to read in English, I just finished "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." FABULOUS book! :)

    ReplyDelete